Facebook Set-up Tips for Businesses
Why use a Facebook Page rather than a Profile?
Aside from the fact that using a profile for a business or company violates Facebook’s Statements of Rights and Responsibilities, profiles don’t enable you to take advantage of all of the apps and features that are available to businesses and organizations that use Facebook Pages. These apps and features allow you to:
- create ad campaigns targeted at a specific demographic
- promote coupons and deals to your Facebook audience
- connect your YouTube account to your Facebook page
- create a welcome page that suits your industry’s needs
- promote your inventory
- share client/customer testimonials and much more!
- Can I convert my existing profile for my company or business to a Facebook Page?
- How do I create a Facebook Page if I do not already have a profile set up for my company or business?
- How do I return to my Facebook Page in the future?
- How do I add someone as an admin for my page?
- How do I remove someone as an admin for my page?
Yes, you can, but there are some important things to note before you start the process.
First of all, the only content that will be automatically transferred from your profile to your page is your profile pictures, and your friends will be converted to people who like your page. Any other important information you will want to be sure to save before you begin the transition so that you can add it to your Facebook Page after the conversion is complete. However, Facebook does allow you to download your information from your profile. Here is the explanation of all that is included when you download your information from Facebook as well as how to begin the process of downloading your information from Facebook.
* Please note - you cannot pick and choose what information is downloaded, you will have to verify your identity, and the time it takes to download your information will vary depending on how much information is included in your profile. When your information is ready to download, Facebook will send an email to the address associated with your account.
Additionally, the account that was associated with the profile will be changed to a business account, which limits the access you have to information on Facebook. Business accounts can only maintain their Facebook pages and ad campaigns, cannot be found when doing a search, and those with business accounts cannot send or receive friend requests. Click here for more information on Facebook business accounts.
Once you have saved all of your important information and reviewed what it means to have a business account, you can begin the process of converting your profile to a Page.
For more information on converting your profile to a Page, click here.
Whether or not you have an existing Facebook account, you can create a Page for your company or business by following the steps below:
- Go to Facebook’s Create a Page.
- Click on the category box that applies to your page
- Local Business or Place
- Company, Organization, or Institution
- Brand or Product
- Artist, Band, or Public Figure
- Cause or Community
- After you click on the box, fill out the required information relevant to that category, then check the box next to “I agree to Facebook Pages Terms.”
- On the next screen, you have two options:
- I already have a Facebook account (you will be asked to sign in), or
- I do not have a Facebook account (you will have to create a Business Account by filling in your email address and date of birth)
- Once you are logged in, you will be taken to a screen where you can add and edit information about your page as well as promote it to friends and contacts.
- Login to your Facebook account.
- Click on the down arrow next to "Home".
- Under "Use Facebook as," select the page you would like to manage.
- Once you are redirected to the page, click on "Admin Panel" in the upper right hand corner.
- Under "Manage," you can edit the page, or you can click on various areas of your page, such as the cover photo or profile picture, to edit it.
Since maintaining your social media presence can be a bit time consuming, there may come a time that you want to add someone else as an admin for your page(s) so that they can update information, post status messages, and respond to comments. There are a couple ways that you can do this, but we have found that this option often works the best:
- Have the person “like” your page if they have not done so already.
- Once they “like” your page, login to your page as admin (see instructions above).
- Once logged into the "Admin Panel," click on "See All" next to "New Likes".
- A new screen will pop up with the names of all the people that "like" your page, with the most recent "likes" at the top.
- Next to the person's name, click on the button that says, "Make Admin".
- You will be asked to verify those changes. Another page will pop up with all of your admins, and you'll have to click "Save changes" in order to move forward. After you hit the "Save Changes" button, you will be asked to enter your password.
Once you complete those steps, that person will officially be an admin for that page and will be able to manage and edit your Facebook page for you.
The process of removing someone as an admin for your Facebook page is very similar to that of making someone an admin.
- Once you are logged into the “Admin Panel” for your page, click on “Manage” and select “Edit Page”.
- A new screen will appear. On the left hand side of the page, select “Manage Admins”
- Next to the name of the admin you would like to remove, click on the ‘x’ and hit “Save Changes.”
- After you hit the "Save Changes" button, it will ask you to enter your password.
Once you complete those steps, that person will officially be removed as an admin for that page and will no longer be able to manage and edit your Facebook page for you.